Make this Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa recipe for healthy tacos or a hearty burrito bowl. It’s simple, healthy, budget-friendly, and feeds a crowd. Plus, your kids will love it!
- 2 ½ lb. chuck roast, well-trimmed
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt (or 1 tsp. fine sea salt)
- ½ medium yellow onion cut into quarters
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ¾ cup of water
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2-3 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 3 bay leave
- Place roast on a large plate and pat dry with paper towels. Rub salt over the surface of the meat.
- Select ‘Saute’ on Instant Pot. When the inner pot is hot, add 1 tbsp oil of choice. When the oil simmers, add roast and sear for 2-3 minutes until the roast is browned on all sides. Press ‘Cancel’ on Instant Pot.
- While the roast is browning, add onion, garlic, tomato paste, water, lime juice, cumin, oregano, and cloves to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the onion-tomato mixture over the roast in the Instant Pot, lifting the roast with tongs to allow the liquid to get underneath the roast.
- Place bay leaves on top of the roast, lock the lid into place, flip vent valve to the ‘sealing’ position, and cook at high pressure for 75 minutes (adding 10% for high altitude).
- When cooking time is up, allow 20 minutes of natural pressure release before releasing residual steam and removing the lid.
- Shred it with two forks, adding some of the cooking liquid back to the meat as desired. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Serving suggestion: Serve in a bowl with rice, greens, cilantro, lime wedges, shredded or cotija cheese, corn, pico, black beans, jalapeño slices, mashed or thinly sliced avocado, a drizzle of cilantro lime dressing, finely minced red onions or pickled onions or make into a burrito or taco.