Healthy comfort food at its finest! Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken topped with a simple slaw is healthy and delicious. I’m all about easy and simple recipes. This Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken with Slaw fits the bill for both. This entire meal comes together fast and it’s made with less than 10 ingredients.
For the Instant Pot Chicken:
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast and/or thighs
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup low sugar BBQ sauce, divided – such as G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ Sauce
For the Slaw:
- 1 bag of broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup seeds, toasted (sunflower or pumpkin seeds) – optional
- 1/2 cup low calorie ranch or caesar dress – such as Bolt House Dressings (add more if needed)
- 4 green onions, ends trimmed & sliced (white part and midway up the green part)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins – optional
- Place chicken, yellow onion, broth and 1/2 of the BBQ sauce in the Instant Pot.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot, lock it in place and seal it.
- Set the Instant Pot on the poultry setting for 13 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the Instant Pot, make the slaw by combining all of the slaw ingredients in a medium bowl and tossing until well combined. Place in fridge until ready to serve.
- Once the 13 minutes is up on the Instant Pot, press cancel and let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes. Then switch to venting to finish releasing the pressure. Remove the lid. Transfer the chicken to a platter and with two forks or a tong, pull the chicken breast/thighs apart.
- Transfer the chicken back to the Instant Pot. If there is a lot of liquid, remove about half of it.
Add the remaining BBQ to the Instant Pot and toss until chicken is well coated. Add more BBQ sauce if you like.
- Serve on a bun and top with it with slaw. Or top chicken on a salad or a potato.
- Note: If using a slow cooker: Follow instructions as is and place chicken in a slow cooker on high for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.