You can just toss everything in the slow cooker in the morning and come home to comfort food bliss. Or, if you didn’t plan ahead you can opt for the Instant Pot version to put dinner on the table in under an hour.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
- 1 lb. red potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt + more to taste
- 3 Tbsp. potato starch to thicken, (optional)
- ½ cup heavy cream or nut milk (optional)
- Fresh thyme, parsley or bacon crumbles for garnish, (optional
- Place the chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic and corn in the slow cooker or instant pot.
- Add broth, thyme, parsley, pepper, and salt. Stir well.
- Place lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW setting for 7-8 hours (or 4 hours on HIGH). Or press “Soup” on the instant pot.
- Just before serving, remove the lid. Mix potato starch with ⅓ cup water. Stir into hot soup until thickened slightly.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in cream. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Garnish with fresh thyme and parsley, if desired.