MeatlessMonday Cauliflower Chowder
*2 small or 1 medium Cauliflower heads. Any color is great about 6-7 cups of small cauliflower florets total.
*6-7 carrots, diced or sliced into rounds.
*1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced.
*1/2 large sweet onion
*2 garlic cloves
*3 tablespoons olive oil
*3 cups vegetable stock (or you can use just water)
*1 – 14oz can unsweetened coconut milk/cream
*1/2 teaspoon celery salt
*1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
*Salt and black pepper to taste.
Fresh dill, Basil, Thyme, Chives or Tarragon and smoked paprika
(Crostini or toast drizzled with olive oil and Parmesan cheese optional)
1. Chop and dice vegetables and cut cauliflower into small florets. Reserve about 2 cups of the little florets to add to the soup at last.
2. In a small pot, bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil. Pre-cook the diced carrots and sweet potatoes for 4-5 minutes, until al-dente, rinse with cold water. Set aside.
3. Over medium low heat in a medium size pot, add the extra virgin olive oil, and sauté the chopped onions and garlic until translucent, season with salt and pepper.
4. Once the onions are translucent, add ¾ of the cauliflower florets. Toss and add 2 cups of vegetable stock or just enough to cover the florets. Add salt and pepper, cover with a lid and let them cook for 7-8 minutes or until very soft and tender. Once cooked, purée them in a food processor, blender, or use an immersion blender until smooth.
5. Place this cauliflower purée back into the pot, add the coconut milk, stir well until blended. Season with celery salt, salt, paprika and black pepper. Add a bit more vegetable stock if the consistency is to thick.
6. Add the reserved mini cauliflower florets, and the pre cooked carrots and sweet potatoes. Cover with a lid and bring to a slow simmer cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are cooked to your liking.